Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Flight Risks

Speaking of bad information. USA Today wrote about the new report concerning leg blood clots that tells of a 3 fold increase in risk. The USA Today article quotes a doctor not a part of the report and even gives suggestions which the researchers don't for treating the problem. The problem is another citation of numbers to reassure us that it doesn't affect us.


I don't long distance travel much, though now more than before I met my wife-to-be. It's good to know that the pains I felt in my legs could have been serious but weren't. What the article ignores that the report doesn't is that size and weight matter. What "panel chair of the American College of Chest Physicians" gets incorrect to add coffee to the alcohol dehydration list to avoid on long trips. Better to drink coffee than cola - though water might be a better choice. Drinking excessly on long trips to me that means more trips to the cramped airline bathrooms something the large and over weight certainly seek to avoid.

No comments:

Post a Comment