Monday, July 6, 2009

Kissable Breath & I'm Sorry What?!?

I love kissing my wife (actually "wife-to-be" until Sept 5) and she loves her morning coffee. I am not a coffee drinker, so once she's had her cup I tend to miss her lips and catch her cheek when we kiss and say goodbye. That will change with the two latest news reports about some very old news. Coffee kills the bad breath germs, prevents/reverses Alzheimer (PDF) and many other illnesses associated with aging. What we thought that we knew about coffee is largely wrong. Coffee isn't caffine and in most cases is more beneficial than water and ISN'T hazardous to your health.

Unless you're "with child" or in my case "exceptionally sensitive" coffee can be better than water to your health. There is even some evidence that if I lose the weight even my sensitivity will be reduced. Coffee, the caffinated variety, could even be beneficial to me.

Our tax dollars at work lead to this discovery. The Joint National Committee on Hypertension has specifically stated that there is no evidence linking coffee/tea and high blood pressure. Although all of the news reports say that you shouldn't increase your coffee intake based on these "early" results, that's not what the researcher suggests(LISTEN). Early studies from the same university indicate that Alzheimer can be dormant decades earlier so it doesn't pay to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment